Old 31-03-2006, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al

Default Plants held by county- curious why.

Californina will occasional do this. Many states can do it, but Cal is
weird about it.

It could be any number of state-to-state pest/weed import
quarantine/inspection regulations.

Here is a link to a pdf file that explains what your state agriculture
inspector is doing.
http://www.cal-ipc.org/file_library/17797.pdf

You can find box marking requirements in Section 6421.

They want some type of certificate of compliance or a nursery inspection
sticker on the box from the State of Origin. this states the nursery of
origin has been inspected by their state's agriculture department and is
free of pests and in compliance with California's regulations.

The nursery in Michigan can request that the plants be returned to them, but
I doubt you can get the agency to release them to you without this
marking/compliance certificate in place from the nursery, but I may be
wrong.

You can argue with the inspector if you want, but I'd be real nice...

This time of year they start the Japanese beetle witch hunt. Don't get me
started. FedEx shipments get hit more easily imho. Packages marked loudly
as containing live plants attract the inspector's eye

"Joe Dane" wrote in message
. ..
This is the first time this has ever happened to me, and I
am wondering if anyone might have an insight into why it
happened.

Placed an order through a very reputable company. New
world orchid, if anyone is curious. He is out of Michigan.
He goes to the shows in Japan every year and brings stuff
back. I have ordered through him many times. I figure, he
had to have a permit to bring them in the country... and he
does. So I get a letter today from my counties agriculture
weights and measures department saying they have seized
the plants, for violation of CCR 6421. "Lacks marking and
statement of certificate of contents and growing origin."

I am in California. Why do they want growing origin if it
is going from one state to the next? He is faxing them phyto,
and cites... but again.... I have bought from him dozens of
times and I don't quite get it. There has never been a problem
before.

I guess I am wondering if there is some new law I should
know about. I occasionally order stuff from Equagenera, and
have them ship from the shows. It seems like a huge hassle
to ask every company I buy from to make sure the include
cites.

Thanks

Joe