Old 31-03-2006, 11:24 PM posted to rec.ponds
Peter Breed

Default Protein Skimmer

I've read similar articles and lots of stuff on marine setups,
especially wrt marine DIY setups*, but I have yet to find much info
people with experience on pond size fresh water setups. I am hoping
somebody will post with some experience.
Part of me is thinking is the worst that could happen is the generation
of some very well oxygenated water. The best would seem to be
proactively removing contaminants.
I have heard goldfish describe as sewage factories and sewage treatment
plants have long used foam fractionation the logic seems obvious - I'm
wondering why everyone isn't doing it already,
Peter

*Commercial units seem very expensive for what seem relatively simple
pieces of apparatus
Altum wrote:
Roy wrote:
Protein skimmers do not work worth a flip on fresh water.......There
are other methods your able to employ to remove proteins out of the
water, other than a typical fractionator or protein skimmer....

I thought you could use a skimmer in FW with ozone. Never tried,
though. Here's an ozonater and skimmer for koi ponds.
http://www.koicarp.net/filtration/pr..._skimmers.html

This article says that if there's enough protein that waterfalls foam a
bit, you can skim.
http://www.koimag.co.uk/featureRead.asp?ID=2049