Old 01-04-2006, 03:04 AM posted to triangle.gardens
Donna Maroni

Default Poor showing of tulips

According to Jeff Frelinger, tulips

1 get eaten as bulbs by animals
2. get eaten as plants by larger animals (deer)
3. do not come back reliably so they get worse (to zero!) every year
4. some species tulips will come back but even those are not so hot in Orange
county
5. So the first year is the best you will get

Strangely enough, I have a little batch of tulips that never did
much--until this mild-winter year when they have more flower buds than
ever. And one species tulips is better than ever. Otherwise, most of
those I've planted, even those planted in wire cages to guard again #1,
are gone.