Old 01-04-2006, 07:38 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default Plants' soil makes water dirty

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 14:47:06 +0700, "-keevill-" wrote:

just a few rocks should do the trick ? What about putting the 'root ball' of
the plants inside a plastic bag or something like that ? I don't want the
water crystal clear but right now we cannot even see the fish.

I use both 8" X 15" $1 baskets and the fancier black pond mesh baskets. I
line them with weed fabric. Fill with dirt batter (very sandy in my
location) add tomato spikes with plant. Take strips of weed fabric and lay
across top of dirt batter (sandy, or clay, soil + water, mixed to the
consistence of brownie batter) add, sm.chicken egg size, river rock. Fabric
keeps soil in, rocks from sinking thru dirt batter. Strips allow openings
to add more tabs. I've used this method for many years now. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a