Old 01-04-2006, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

Default trees for smallish garden

I'm after two trees for our front garden. It's about 50' by 70' but some of
that is veg patch and drive. I want to put in one or two trees which will
reach about 25' and be not too broad. The garden faces north but we are in a
bungalow so the shade is not too bad (i.e. some of it does get sun). It is
alkaline clay. I want trees that "do" something, preferably flower. I've
been looking and have thought about a Judas Tree (Cercis siliquastrum) and a
Wedding Cake Tree (Cornus contraversa Variegata). Would these be any good?
Does anyone have any experience with them? TIA,

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)