Old 01-04-2006, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default mulch for Akebia and Nelly Moser

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

I consider watering tubes a very valuable technique for newly planted
Clematis, their first May to August in the ground, regular watering down a
tube which goes to the bottom of the planting hole helps them establish much
quicker.
I have found that because the top of newly planted clematis can grow much
faster than the roots during the summer it is important to make the growing
roots go down and to support the plant until its root system can cope (about
12 months on my soil)
Surface watering can in dry weather make roots head upwards looking for
moisture which slows the process down. I do not do it to save water and I
would agree Akebia certainly would not require any help :~)

I hadn't thought of that! You approach would need a tube rather longer
than 6", of course, though not all that much longer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.