Old 01-04-2006, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Cormaic!

Sacha wrote:
snip
If I get time tomorrow, I'll look it out
and amplify this answer!
--

Yurr tiz. Mrs Danvers reports Cormaic as saying that if the gravel is
tarmacked over the cobbles, the tarmac will peel off and stains will
probably vanish in a year. If it's concreted in the news is bad,
because the stain can last 12 years. He said that laying cobbles is a
skill and that in the past they were laid on a mixture of clay, horse
manure and wine. Today the most common ground is concrete which 'is
not very pleasing'. A lime based grounding is better because it will
encourage moss and algae between the cracks. Liquid manure or yoghurst
will encourage plants in the cracks. Tony ends by saying that you
must MUST find a skilled layer otherwise they will get concrete over
the stones.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk