Old 01-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Scotia Scotia is offline
Registered User

Location: Huddersfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padraig D'Arcy
Hi,

I've heard the ground needs to be prepared months in advance of sowing with composting and manure etc.

This would be new ground of course. It's been dug up a bit already (there was a jcb working in the area) and there's no grass on top. I just need to cultivate it and prepare beds/drills but will anything grow in it??
Go for it it sounds like you are well on the way to success already.

I recall a few years ago I took over an allotment in March and I had it ready for planting out ion May (see it here) http://thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Pic...um%20Index.htm

Quote:
Or what might be the best choice of vegetables at this stage?
More or less anything you like at this time of the year, have a look at the vegetable section here;

http://thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/

Quote:
It's in a good location with a slight bit of shelter and the sun should get it nicely too.
The top layer of the soil is very black like peat or turf. I think the drainage is reasonable too. Any help and advice would be much appreciated ladies and gents.
Sounds ideal!