Old 01-04-2006, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Him

Default Do bugs live in my dirt?

Hello group - thanks in advance for your opinions.

I am in zone 6 so my gardening days are about 3 weeks or so away I guess.
Starting three years and worse the past two years I have had what I think is
vine bore bugs totally destroy my cucumbers and squash plants. I tried
moving them to a different part of the garden but I only have a 12 x 20 plot
to work with so it didn't seem to help.

Do these bugs live in the dirt from year to year? How do I get rid of them?
..... is there an additive I can till into the soil not before spring
planting? ....

If I can't find something I trust to work I am not even going to plant cucs
and squash this year but I will alas miss them.

Also, my garden results seem to have gone down every year for the past
several despite more work .... how do I best prepare my soil?

Last year I got the best results in soem case the only results from leftover
plants that I stuck in old flower pots.

Any advice welcome ..... thanks ...