Old 01-04-2006, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jadel

Default Book --An Enthusiasm for Orchids--

Andrew wrote:
Aaron,
Is it
primarily aboutorchid/pollenator relationship between Drakaea and
thynnine wasps or does it extend to other genera of Australian orchids?
Is it just about pseudocopulation or does it extend to other mechanisms
of pollenation....

I'm reading my copy now, and I can answer a couple of your questions.

The book discusses several different genera of WA orchids, as well as
non-WA orchids, and covers a couple of means of pollination, though
pseudocopulation is the main emphasis. Alcock also discusses speciation
and hybridization in WA orchids in the context of adaptive pollination
strategies. Alcock writes very well. The book is illustrated with
excellent photographs and is very attractively designed.

Alcock's main subject is adaptive evolution. He uses orchids to
support his ideas, much the way Darwin did in his book on orchids.

J. Del Col