Old 01-04-2006, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Default leather jackets

"pied piper" wrote
"Sue" wrote
The hazards info does state it's very toxic to aquatic life though,
so you'd have to be very careful near any ponds etc. I'm not totally
against using a chemical product if it's (relatively) safe and
there's no other good way, but for such a small area of grass it
seems like going way overboard just for a few leatherjackets. Is
Crossfire available to the general public? Just a thought, but if
not, one might be asking a greenkeeper to break the law by supplying
it.

not breaking the law if the greenkeeper sprays it for you and holds a
pa60 or equivalent.
Household bleach detergent and cooking oil also harm aquatic life but
you have them at home.

Fine, but you didn't say that to start with, you said "ask if you can
buy some from them" and "apply it with a watering can" which implied a
DIY use. I was merely pointing out that a greenkeeper might have reason
to be reluctant to hand over chemicals that he didn't know would be
used, stored or disposed of correctly, since it might land him in
trouble should something go wrong. You also said "it's safe for other
wildlife in your garden" which is apparently not true for ponds.

I'm perfectly aware that no end of common household products would be
harmful to aquatic creatures, but then people don't usually spray them
liberally around on their lawns hoping to kill a few leatherjackets, do
they. Sometimes chemicals are useful; sometimes they're just overkill.

BEWARE NET POLICE

I hope you're feeling in a better mood soon. There was no need to be
rude.

--
Sue