Old 01-04-2006, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default Is it too late to prepare new Veg garden?

"Padraig D'Arcy" wrote
I've a patch of ground that looks suitable for a nice vegetable garden.
Thing is, I've heard the ground needs to be prepared months in advance
of sowing with composting and manure etc. This would be new ground of
course. It's been dug up a bit already (there was a jcb working in the
area) and there's no grass on top. I just need to cultivate it and
prepare beds/drills but will anything grow in it??

Or what might be the best choice of vegetables at this stage? It's in a
good location with a slight bit of shelter and the sun should get it
nicely too.
The top layer of the soil is very black like peat or turf. I think the
drainage is reasonable too. Any help and advice would be much
appreciated ladies and gents.

As the ground has not been used for a while it will be fertile enough so
plant stuff and enjoy. You can manure etc as you crop so next year it will
be perfect.
Onions need only a small depth of soil anyway.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden