Old 01-04-2006, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Slightly OT Frogspawn

Lynda Thornton writes

Thanks for that, it was helpful and I won't worry so much, I'll just
keep an eye on them. The spawn is at the stage of small black shapes
rather than tiny dots in the jelly, and hopefully the mini-tadpoles will
be emerging soon. The pond has been outside here since we moved over 18
months ago and has a miniature water lily in a basket on the bottom and
quite a lot of blanket weed growing on the sides as well - do they eat
that at all?

Yes, definitely. Probably can't keep up with its rate of growth, though.

I cleared loads of it at the start of the winter but it's
growing back rapidly now I assume with the warmer weather and more sun.
I hope they will find enough to eat in there - someone else has
suggested goldfish flakes once there is no jelly left to eat and if
there are loads of tadpoles, but I don't want to foul the water or cause
unwanted bacteria etc.

I'd have thought you'd be OK without additional feeding. If you think
you have too many tadpoles, it might be better to transfer some to a big
water container and feed those, and leave the ones in the pond to fend
for themselves.
--
Kay