Old 01-04-2006, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MadCow

Default Rigid pond liner

In message , BAC
writes

An alternative to digging a full sized hole is to install the rigid

liner
into the equivalent of a raised bed. If you excavate a hole for the deep

I definitely like this idea. I've had a few ponds by now; the one time
I tried with a rigid liner, I followed all the advice and instructions
carefully, but despite all my best efforts, the liner "settled" at one
edge a few days after I'd filled it, and I was left with an awful

like the built-up idea -- doesn't have to be very built-up, does it.

I've seen two ponds installed by the method I described, and they have
worked fine and looked OK. If you don't try to follow the shape of the
liner too closely with the 'retaining wall', you can create room for
pondside planting, filter, or whatever, as required.

Thanks for that - I like it too, as the bank will use up some of the
spoil from the hole.

I've asked about this all over the place, and a koi-carp enthusiast told
me his method:
Dig the hole 2-3 inches larger than the liner, put a layer of dry sand
in the bottom of the hole and wriggle the liner into it. You make it
slightly off-level so that it overflows where you want it to.
Then you part fill the liner with water to hold it down.
Then you pour water down the outside of the liner to wet the sand under
it so it packs down, making sure the water level inside is always higher
or it'll float and you'll have to start again.
When that's all soaked in you pour some more dry sand down the sides,
wet that and repeat.

It sounds feasible but you'd have extra soil left over.

--
Sue ]