Old 02-04-2006, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

Default Good Digging Fork

Dwight wrote in
link.net:

We need to replace a fork with bent teeth.

Home Depot sells a "Bronco" for $20.00, but I have always
found that spending more money on a good tool is
worthwhile.

Are there ways to tell about the quality of the steel?

well, avoid anything pressed like the plague... look at the
thickness/shape of the tines. you don't want thin & flat.
welds are bad too. my personal preferance for a digging fork
is a D handle, but some people like the long straight handles.

Have you recommendations for good tools?

http://www.leevalley.com/home/Search.aspx?c=2&action=n

not affiliated, but have had good luck with thier tools.
i also buy tools at a local Agway. big box stores tend to go
for low prices, with resultant lower qualtity. Home Depot may
be a step up from Wal-Mart, but i wouldn't bet on it.
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery