Old 03-04-2006, 07:47 AM posted to free.uk.nature.ponds,rec.ponds
Steve

Default Aeration plants

Hi,
Last summer (here in the UK), I built a pond and put in some fish and some
aeration plants. They were strands of green plants about 9 inches in
length. They used to just float on top of the water, but over the winter
they have sunk and somehow multiplied into what can only be described as a
cloud of green candy floss! The frogs seem to like it though as they've
laid quite a bit of frogspawn (and the fish don't seem too bothered (not
that I've seen them most of winter (I assume this is giving them somewhere
safe to hide from cats etc.)))

Is this cloud of green candy floss safe for the fish? If I get rid of some
of it, will it impact the fish and/or frogspawn? Also, we're a bit
concerned that our garden will be swamped (excuse the pun!) with frogs when
they hatch. We don't mind a few frogs, but we don't want millions of 'em!
Is it safe to leave the frog-spawn or get rid of some of it?

Thanks in advance,

Steve