Old 03-04-2006, 12:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny

Default Jewel Orchids

I'm no expert with them yet, have 5 or 6 different species from a few
different genera that aren't exactly being grown to their full potential.
One big thing with some of the species I have is to let them dry out a
little between waterings, and some of them like to have a fairly open mix.
Don't pot them too deep. On the ones that put up new growths very close
together you may need to keep the crown of the plant at the very surface of
the mix to avoid rot (this may not be true for all species but it's
certainly something to watch out for.) My rambling ones have very succulent
stems that like to hang out of the pot and will also rot easily if kept wet.
I haven't tried any of them in S/H yet.
-danny

"jtill" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just wondering if I should try my hand at these. Are any of you RGO
folk working with jewel orchids? What do you like? Are they difficult?
Can I use SemiHydro on these plants?
Joe T