Old 03-04-2006, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default slugs help

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Des Higgins" contains these words:

Anyone got an opinion on either OR know anything else that works.

They don't like crawling over wood ash, so if you have or know
someone with a woodburning stove, save some to make a defensive ring
around each lily. Failing that, fine beach sand. I find they don't like
crushed dry bracken, or roughly shopped comfrey leaves, either.

I just bit the bullet and bought some more Alu sulphate. It looks

harmless
enough (as long as you do not get it in any orifices)
and I have even seen it in organic gardening shops. For the greenhouse, I
will try half plastic bottles.

it has just finished raining here in the evening. I am going out shortly
with some gumboots, salt and flash light to catch some slugs and snails.

rob