Old 03-04-2006, 05:30 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Default bare root lilies

CanadianPonderŠ wrote:

I just wanted a review on doing this. I believe Derek had some good
points on the advantages of planting lilies bare root.

Some of my questions are :

How do you fertilize ?

I don't.

What type of fertilizer to use ?

See above :-)

How do you keep them in place ?

I tend to wrap a bit of copper wire loosely around the lily and a rock. The
bigger the rock, the less often you have to divide the lily (because the
lily pads & stalks are bouyant enough to lift the rock off the pond bottom,
eventually). I use copper wire purely because I have large amounts of it
lying around at any time. It's not the best thing to be using in a pond
(copper being toxic to invertebrates).
--
derek