Old 03-04-2006, 08:38 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default Aeration plants

Last summer (here in the UK), I built a pond and put in some fish and some
aeration plants. They were strands of green plants about 9 inches in
length. snipped for brevity

Is this cloud of green candy floss safe for the fish? If I get rid of some
of it, will it impact the fish and/or frogspawn? Also, we're a bit
concerned that our garden will be swamped (excuse the pun!) with frogs when
they hatch. We don't mind a few frogs, but we don't want millions of 'em!
Is it safe to leave the frog-spawn or get rid of some of it? Steve

IMO, I'd just hang on as see what happens. Once the taddies start swimming,
if it seems like too many, I'd net them out and put them in their own
container perhaps.

Last year when my taddies looked big enough not to be eaten I put some of
the small fantails back in. They were about the same size or smaller than
largest taddie. Was I ever floored when I saw a fantail sucked down a
taddie not much smaller than it was. Luckily taddies can swim much faster
than a fantail, but even so, within 1-2 weeks those goldfish had doubled in
size. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~