Old 03-04-2006, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Judas Tree (Cercis siliquastrum)

Sacha writes

H Ryder wrote:
Has anyone got experience of growing this? I want it for a north facing
front garden which gets some sun and is on clay. How big do they get? They
seem quite expensive so wanted o check first

Apparently, they can get to 30' but goodness knows how long that
takes!

Less than 25 years to get to about 20ft from my father's experience.
They tend to lean and spread with low branches, so have quite a large
'footprint' - not the sort of tree which you walk around under.

They like deep, fertile soil and full sun, so your 'some sun'
and clay probably won't hack it. ;-(

My father's was in an orchard on clay, though probably with more sun
than your north facing garden will get.

--
Kay