Old 03-04-2006, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

Default Bright pink leafed Acer

On 3 Apr 2006 10:09:50 -0700
"Sacha" wrote:

Emery Davis wrote:
On 3 Apr 2006 05:47:15 -0700
"Sacha" wrote:

Can anyone tell me the name of an Acer whose leaves are a very bright
pink? Apparently there used to be one at the Garden House but it has
since been removed. I don't recall seeing it myself, so it might have
been some time ago.

Hi Sacha,

Do you mean a tree? A. pseudoplatanus 'Brilliantissimum'
is probably the best known, pretty widely seen. Gorgeous pink
slowly goes light green in summer. Not a very large tree.
'Prinz Handjery' is similar but with a darker under-leaf, and
a bit more vigorous. I'm trying to get hold of a good specimen
of the latter, which reputedly burns less easily.

If you mean A. palmatum, there are at least several possibilities...

Unfortunately, all I got from the customer was that it had "very bright
pink leaves, almost shocking pink". I wondered about Acer campestre
Carnival but can't find a pic of that.

Could well be Brilliantissimum, it's really pink pink.

Carnival has variegated green/white/pink, but most plants
have less pink. Here's some pics:

http://www.esveld.nl/htmldiaen/a/acccar.htm

Could it be A. negundo 'Flamingo' maybe? That's more common
than Carnival, and some plants show very pink indeed on
young growth. The pink goes mostly white as the leaves
age though.

-E

--
Emery Davis