Old 04-04-2006, 02:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Gene Schurg

Default Jewel Orchids

Joe,

These are wonderful plants. I have two Macodes petola and a ludesia. I
have two Macodes because I was afraid I'd kill one and wanted to double my
chances for success.

I grow the Macodes in a shallow bulbpan (clay) in loose spagnum moss. The
ludesia is in a larger bulb pan in a mix of promix with added perlite. To
keep the dirt from washing out of the pan I covered the surface with alifor
(clay pellets). In the shallow pan both of these plants tend to grow into a
nice colony.

The real pleasure of these plants is that they appreciate the greenhouse
environment and don't require much light. They fit nicely below other
plants that crave the light.

One thing I do dislike is when they bloom. The flower spike tends to ruin
the symmetry of the leaves and soon that growth that blooms isn't as
attractive. Soon other growths develop and it is a minor issue.

When I see more of these types of plants available I will be adding them to
my collection.

Good Growing,
Gene

"jtill" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just wondering if I should try my hand at these. Are any of you RGO
folk working with jewel orchids? What do you like? Are they difficult?
Can I use SemiHydro on these plants?
Joe T