Old 04-04-2006, 01:15 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot

Default elderly broccoli...?

"Chookie" wrote in message

It's an annual, and it's acting like one. Transplant stress and insect
attack
caused the rest to bolt, but this one survived because it *had* more
shade.

of course! (i didn't think of that).

Vegies in Australia need less direct sunlight than you might think,
particularly in summer.

everyone says 6 hours here too, though, don't they...? (or do i just read
too many english gardening books & i'm mixing my messages? g) however, it
clearly appears to be the case that at least one broccoli plant in teh wide
world only needs 2 or 3!! it's as big & healthy as anything (now)!!

here in canberra, the sun is even more powerful than home in the city (sob)
so i can see where that makes sense. how many hours minimum would you aim
for?

Now the weather is cooler, your broc has got the message that it needs to
reproduce, so is doing its thing. It will die when it has set seed. You
can
leave it there and collect the seeds, if you like.

i was hoping to eat it actually. it will be interesting to compare how it
goes, with the current-season plants to which we haven't done anything awful
& wrong (yet. g)

thanks chookie.
kylie