Old 03-04-2006, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Judas Tree (Cercis siliquastrum)

Emery Davis wrote:
On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 21:07:05 +0100
Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from "H Ryder" contains these words:

Has anyone got experience of growing this? I want it for a north facing
front garden which gets some sun and is on clay. How big do they get?They
seem quite expensive so wanted o check first

I have the purple-leafed form called Forest Pansy which is gorgeous,
but quite slow growing so far..about 6" per year. I'm growing that in
full sun for best colour.

Isn't that a Cercis canadensis cultivar? Actually (although I know
it's a pretty plant) that's what I'm hoping I _don't_ have, as I don't
need another reddish bush where I've put it. Should find out soon!

I'm always a bit embarrassed when I buy these "generic" plants
on impulse, then try to figure it out afterwards...

If you have Forest Pansy and decide you don't want it, make sure you
sell it for a good price!! It's highly desirable and some nurseries
are selling it for £45.00 and more. Would that be an impulse buy for
you? ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk