Old 04-04-2006, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
Rachel

Default Hardy cyclamen

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Rachel" wrote in message
Have been trying to get a patch going at woods' edge in zone 6 for a
while, without success.

Any clues on getting these things to grow, before they get dug up and
destroyed? Conditions were pretty normal: not too much water, but not too
dry, either.

An exact Latin name would help,

C. hederifolium. Sorry.

In zone 5, mine flowered in September, made leaves in spring, and those
leaves vanished by June. Lay chicken wire under a layer of mulch to
dissuade the squirrels.

Oh, I just remembered that I was going to do that last fall, but petered out
when I couldn't find chicken wire (!) ... The places I looked cater to
full-scale farmers and didn't want to sell me less than a huge roll of it,
or else a sheet of some stuff with so tight a grid, that nothing would have
grown through it.