Old 04-04-2006, 04:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
madgardener

Default Which of the 3 would you go with for privacy fence?

"Dan J.S." wrote in message

I am looking at the following 'rapid' growing plants/shrubs

Autumn Olive
Red Mulberry
Russian Olive

I live around Chicago - zone 4

I need to have something that grows very fast - as a privacy fence. All
these will be 2 foot high when I plant them.

Thank you in advance!

what about old fashioned Privet? It grows fast, can be trimmed if you want
to, bushes up nicely, has berries for the birds, leaves hold up during
winter, and reaches heights of about 20 foot............there's even a newer
one that is variegated, although not sure how fast the variegated one is.
one foot whips grow into thick, multi-branched shrubs in no
time.........ordinarily I'd not mention privet, but it does do in a pinch
and isn't expensive. no thorns either.
madgardener