Old 04-04-2006, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Horse Manure Questions

Hi All

I've had a good look through the archives and founds some very useful
info on horse manure, but a couple of questions remain unanswered.

I have a source of well-rotted (I'm told) horse manure from a local
farmer.

1) Is it too late in the season to be putting it on my veg beds now?
i.e. does it need a few weeks/months to integrate with the soil, or is
there benefit with spreading it over newly-planted or
soon-to-be-planted beds?

2) Apart from "as much as possible", what sort of quantity would I
need? I have 4 raised beds, each about 15' x 4', so a total of 240 sq
ft. The farmer has asked me how many bags I want. Presuming that "a
bag" is about the size of a potato sack, could anyone hazard a guess
for how many bags I'd need? Too much isn't a problem because I have
space for storage for later use, but I don't want to under-order.

Grateful for any advice,

Regards

Will