Old 04-04-2006, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

Default Judas Tree (Cercis siliquastrum)

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 11:42:28 +0100
Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from Emery Davis contains these words:

Mine actually came from a DYI where the plants are usually
in awful condition, but I always have a look while buying light bulbs.
(Old tri-phase and 440V power, we go through light bulbs.) This
was huge, easily 2.5 m, I barely stuffed it into the car. It was 24 EU,
so I know that even though Cercis doesn't like to be moved large,
if it dies it won't be too big a hit.

I'd heard they hated root disturbance too, but mine moved with us
from the last garden, where it had been planted out on the edge of a
copse for around two years. Before the house was marketed I dug FP up
again , losing a fair bit of root to fit the rootball into a big pot. It
lived there for nine months before being replanted about 3 years ago. No
problems at all.

Thanks. There's hope yet. The most annoying thing about
mine was the plastic basket it was growing through/around,
that hard plastic already strangling some roots. Took me
a solid half hour to cut the thing away.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom