Old 04-04-2006, 03:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ottawa

Default Soil Question

I'm totally new so what exactly does everyone mean by organic matter?
Anything??? or specifics?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ottawa wrote:
Okay, so I gardened for teh first time lat year planning some veggies
like
tomatoes, zuchinni, eggplant, peppers and beans. After everything was in
put down a few layers of newspaper and some cedar mulch around it. I was
told this would help with inhibiting weed growth, which it did. Anyhow,
what
do I need to do to get the soil ready again this year? I'm guessing
remove
the much but should I mix in manure or compost in the soil to give it
some
nutrients?
Thanks

If last year's mulch is well-rotted, I/d leave it and mix it in. Add
some leaf mold, compost, or rotted manure -- if you have it -- and mix
that in, too.

Nicest thing you can do for your soil is add organic matter to it.