Old 04-04-2006, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Hedges

kt wrote:
Hi

We have a house that is set back in its garden ie no back garden. Our
neighbour would like the side hedges low as his property is set 3 foot
lower than ours - we would like them higher as we would like a bit of
privacy for ourselves and children as we have no back garden. They are
apprx 4 ft at the moment meaning that the whole world can see in (we're
on a main road). I don't want to start a war or particularly upset him
as he is old and infirm and I do understand his point of view, where
should I go with this?

Assuming that you have moved in after him, this sounds a bit like
someone trying to impose his will on the newcomers! If the hedge is
yours, you have every right to grow it to a reasonable height. In
fact, I believe there are now government guidelines as to what those
should be. But I would suggest that you have a word with him,
explaining that you and your family need their privacy and that while
you understand his pov, you feel that you need the hedge to be at 5' to
achieve that. Perhaps he is concerned that the hedge is taking light
from his plants, perhaps he is nosy, perhaps he had this dispute with
the previous occupants of your house and is carrying that on as a
mini-feud with you. But I really don't think that a 5' hedge is
unreasonable at the side and perhaps, as someone else has suggested,
you could allow the hedge to be higher at the edge that fronts the main
road, or perhaps you could put 6' fencing there?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk