Old 05-04-2006, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Help for an orchid novice

My husband bought me a gorgeous orchid plant for Valentine's Day. I'm
not sure what type it is. You can see it he

http://home.comcast.net/~jbcamel/temp/long.jpg

It is a single plant with two long stems covered with flowers. In fact
it has not lost a single flower since he gave it to me and has grown at
least four or five new ones. It also has several new buds. Most of
the buds are at the end of the stems but a couple are in the middle.

Questions:

- Should I prune the flower stems so that they do not get extremely
long and spindly? If so, where do I prune them?
- What about feeding? The instructions said to only feed them monthly
in warm months. I do have orchid food but I haven't fed them yet. I
thought I'd start in May. Does that sound right?
- I have no idea what I'm doing but so far the plant seems to be very
happy. It gets filtered morning sun and bright light the rest of the
day. Do orchids continue to flower all year or do they have a season?
- Does it ever need to be repotted?

I'd really love it and would like to keep it beautiful and happy as
long as possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Jane