Old 05-04-2006, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

Default Ivy or evergreen climber suggestions?

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 12:53:49 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in message .com):

I think almost anything that will do what you require will need some
tidying up from time to time. However, two things come immediately to
mind - Holboellia which is evergreen and Humulus lupus aureus (Golden
Hop), which isn't. The latter grows very fast but dies back in winter.
However, I imagine you won't want to be sitting outside then! Perhaps
you could use it in two places while waiting for something else, e.g. a
rose or clematis, to grow to full height? Have a look at this:
http://www.bluebellnursery.com/cgi-b...s=Humulus&init
ial=H
and here's Charlie's site where he sells Holboellia:
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk/climbers/cat1.htm
--
Sacha

Thanks for that. For some unaccountable reason I omitted to say that much of
this pergola is in shade much of the time as it is against a North wall but
some of it projects beyond it into the area of longer sunlight. Well anyway I
decided on Hedera Colchica "Sulphur Heart" as the ivy of choice and some
Humulus Lupulus Aureus (Golden Hop) to make a quick cover at the sunny end,
hoping that it will spill over a bit into he shade before it realises it
isn't very sunny there. I think this will all work out quite well! Actually
although I probably won't want to be sitting out there for very long in the
winter, I really do want the option to do so if I feel like it! I'm one of
those odd people who like to wanderr around the garden at odd hours in their
pyjamas or whatever so the more all-year-round screening the better I will
feel about it.

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)