Old 05-04-2006, 02:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jackie Brown

Default Seedlings to pots?

"K" wrote in message
JennyC writes

"Gareth" wrote in message
Why do I need to plant seedlings to sequentially bigger pots? Why isn't
possible to plant a seedling to just 1 pot - the final size required by
the
adult plant?

Gareth.

I've wondered this myself Gareth. In the wild seeds just drop to the ground
and
grow OK without being in pots at all!

In the wild, there tends to be other plants around taking up water. In a
pot, the soil seems to go a bit stale if you've got just one tiny
seedling sitting in the middle taking up water very slowly. Totally
non-scientific! Possibly utter rubbish. But it's how it feels.

It's a matter of degree. If it's fast-growing, you can put into a lot
larger pot than you would, say. a cactus, which may require a whole year
to go up half a pot size.
--
Kay

Personally I think its to stop them all fighting over the best part of the
pot; after all you wouldn't want:

Roses having a rumble
Spuds in a strop
Nightshades with knuckle dusters