Old 05-04-2006, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default Ground moles

In article ,
"Jimmy" wrote:

Never heard of a gopher snake. I would rather do that than use poison
things. Do they they go after the moles and where are they from? Imported
from where? Don't want anything that will act like the Asian Carp.

Gopher snakes, aka bull snakes.
Here in the South, a similar snake would be the Texas Rat snake.

When we lived in CA, we used to travel the desert back roads close to
sunset. The snakes would crawl out onto the asphault to get warm and
we'd pick them up. Sometimes they would be dead by the time we got them
home as some car ahead of us had run over them. :-(

We'd release them down the gopher and ground squirrel holes.

A couple dozen snakes later and there was not a mole nor gopher to be
found in the entire neighborhood, and a severe dent got put in the
ground squirrel population. ;-)

As the food runs out, the snakes move on and they are harmless.
--
Peace, Om.