Old 05-04-2006, 03:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tomes

Default Newbie to group

"Tim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

I am a newbie to this group and have a question for you. My family and
I just moved in to a house we built on 4 acres of wooded land. The land
has never been developed. It is not flat but is not extremely hilly
either. Typical North Carolina foothills property.

I have about 40 logs down just from the footprint of building the
house, not to mention several dozen down since Hurricane Hugo. I need a
garden tractor or something similar to help with pulling the logs
around to be cut and moved etc, and with normal chores around the
property. Don't have alot of grass yet, but I have seeded about a 1/4
acre around the house.

Some have suggested getting a powerful ATV to help with the work, but I
really don't want to spend alot of money on something that will not
deal with the terrain and heavy usage. Any thoughts or ideas would be
very much appreciated.

Tim

Hi Tim,
I have 4 1/3 acres in NJ, half woods on a slope, half grass and a river
bisecting it. I harvest all the wood I can burn from that from the fallen
or dead timber, and mow the grass, maybe a third of the grass with a
trail-behind catcher, the rest scattered. I have a JD GT262 garden tractor
that is about 8 years old now and it does everything I want it to do. I
have trailer that I use to lug the cut wood around, I cut it wherever it
falls. The trailer is used for that wood, ferrying around mulch, the kids,
the chainsaw and its supplies, pretty much anything that needs to move
around. If I need to move really big logs I use the Jeep TJ with its locked
4WD and mass, although this is rare. I also have a 4 foot snowthrower for
the front of it (flag lot) and a 48 inch mowing deck. It does a lot of work
year round.

In all I am very happy with this setup and it serves me well.
Hope this helps and feel free to question,
Tomes