Old 05-04-2006, 11:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

Default Shredding & blowing peat moss on lawn?

"Mama Bear" wrote in message
"Warren" wrote :

Mama Bear wrote:
Someone was telling me that they can use a shredder-blower to
shred peat moss and spray a think layer of it all over your
lawn after putting down grass seed, then you water and it
helps keep the moisture in and start the seed so it doesn't
dry out.

What do they call the blower that can do that and what do
they usually cost?

Wouldn't you rather know if it works before you start spending
money?

I've been told it can work. But go ahead. What is it, and can it
work?

peat moss can be expensive, it certainly is for the stuff you buy for
hanging baskets anyway, and may not be environmentally sustainable if large
amounts are harvested.

As an alternative, I used frost cloth. I prepared the soil, rakes it, threw
on the seed, raked it in to the top soil, watered and staked down some frost
cloth across the top. The cloth kept the direct sun off and moisture in and
reduced the amount of watering I needed to do. I checked it a few times a
day and put the sprinkler on when the soil was starting to dry out. After a
few days the grass started to come through and I pulled the cloth back to
let the sun in. If not frost cloth maybe light sail cloth or old hessian
sacking. It should not be too heavy and cumbersome but not too porous
either.

rob