Old 05-04-2006, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Farm1

Default I feel so sorry for you folks in cold climate areas.

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

Hmf I'll see your iguana with a 4ft goanna and raise you with a

red-bellied
black snake.

Hah! Those red bellied black snakes are great! If you have them

then
you don't have Eastern Brown Snakes or Tiger Snakes. And I'll bet
that you and I are both much further South than the other posters

who
seem to think "South" is somwhere in the Northern Hemisphere :-))

We were told the old furphy about black snakes keeping away the

browns but
it just ain't so. We have browns as well but there are more blacks,

I don't
really mind the blacks as they leave you alone if you leave them

alone but
browns are really scary. Both are endemic to the district. We are

about 32
degrees Sth.

I don't know how far south I am.

At our other palce we have red bellied blacks and no other snakes at
all. The value of the red bellied blacks is that their venom kills
brown snakes whereas the reverse is not true.