Old 05-04-2006, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

Default Blue Iberian plant identification

"Sacha" wrote in message
ups.com...

Chris Jones (Alentejo) wrote:
I would very much appreciate help in identifying this plant please.
Although it is in Portugal I am sure UK rec gardeners will have a
better idea than myself.

These plants bloom in late March and April in the Natural Park of Serra
da Sao Mamede in Portugal and no doubt grow in other parts of Portugal
and Spain.

They grow along the side of roads and on hills on poor soil in the same
location as plants like gum cystus, gorse and heather.

I have posted the pictures at www.azenhadoramalho.com/plantid.htm

I asked David Poole to have a look and here's his answer:
"It's a particularly fine, richly coloured form of Erinacea anthyllis
(hedgehog broom) that is mainly warmer meditterranean countries,
northern Africa and as far east as Afghanistan. The species is highly
variable with flowers ranging from white through to purplish blue.
I've grown the commoner, pale mauve form in the past, which is highly
drought tolerant and needs extremely sharp drainage in full sun for
best results. It can make a good, albeit very slow growing garden
plant in the south, but is best under cold glass in wetter, more
northern counties."

I just knew David would have the answer. ;-)

beats my attempt anyway; nice plant and nice name :-).

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk