Old 05-04-2006, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

Default Good Digging Fork

In article ,
Stephen Henning wrote:

"Doug Kanter" expounded:

Forks are made to loosen the soil by being moved side to side or in a
circular motion. It's obvious just by looking at the tool that heavy
prying can cause problems.

Fiskars doesn't say to use a circular motion. They claim to have the
strength to get the job done. With the Ames Fork, I would be more
careful. Here are a number of good digging forks:

Fiskars Power-Booster Digging Fork
http://www.gardeners.com/D-Handle-Di...ult/35-724.prd

Structron Spading Fork
http://www.hooverfence.com/tools/str...-fork-sp30.htm

Rittenhouse Stainless Steel Garden Forks (Canadian) (note 22" fork is
40" long)
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/product.asp?PG=1662

Kodiak Forged Spading Fork
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...jsp?BV_Session
@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgha ddhhfgdfklcgelceffdfgid
gin.0&CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc/searchResults.jsp&MID=9876&N=2984+552
1&pos=n18

Truper Spading Fork
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...881&cp=1254884
.1255108.1260256&parentPage=family&searchId=126025 6

Ames 30" Spading Fork
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...Id=90630-302-1
8-940&lpage=none

Here's yet another. From aging hippies Smith and Hawken )

Pricey but mine are like new after 35 years. I stick mine in a bucket of
sand containing motor oil every winter. Sharpen some tools now.

Bill

http://smithandhawken.resultspage.co...+&Submit.x=0&S
ubmit.y=0&Submit=Submit&p=Q&ts=custom&_DARGS=%2Fjh tml%2Fnewsite%2Ftopnav.
jhtml.8

Or

http://tinyurl.com/ld7x3

--