Old 05-04-2006, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default What to do with un-planted bulbs?

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Doug, thanks for the info. Is the reason that most of them will
probably not bloom because they never got chilled, like they would have
had they been planted in the ground? The bulbs were stored in my
laundry over winter, so they probably never saw temps below about 65.

Cheers,
Steve.

That's most of the reason, I suppose. And, they've had no time to make
roots. You may get some flowers, but don't expect miracles this year. By the
way, the reason for planting them is for moisture control. I've forgotten to
plant a few bulbs over the years. Sometimes they shrivel or get moldy, and
other times, they're fine. The reason is clearly lack of attention on my
part - I could've kept them in good shape if I'd tried. It's much easier to
just put them in the ground.