Old 05-04-2006, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph

Default Ground moles

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 21:36:51 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 17:10:33 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 21:26:14 +0000, Jimmy wrote:

Ground moles are invading my yard, heading for the garden. Any sure
fire ways to get rid of them? I can get some sort of worm that has
poison in it from the pest control place but they are very
expensive. I know chewing gum, peanut butter, etc. does not work.
Any ideas or suggestions? I live in Toledo, Oh, whatever zone that
is. thanx

A cat will keep them down but not eliminate them. My cat catches a
rodent a day during the summer, a mix of moles, mice and chipmunks.
It would be nice if I could tell him to concentrate on moles, but he
has his own agenda.

Your cat is a slacker. ;-)

Our gray tabby female used to catch 2 to 3 per day of moles, gophers,
ground squirrels and rabbits.

She was death on garden pests.......

Tesla is also watching my blueberries for me, he did a pretty good job
of keeping the birds away last year. It's like having my own surface to
air missile site.

lol Good kitty...... ;-D

Seriously tho', ever considered bird netting? It's cheap enough.

I did do bird netting one year. I had a couple of mouse suicides, at least
it looked that way because the mice were hanging from the net. I'm serious
about my cat doing a good job protecting my berries. My bushes are next to
the back deck where my cat likes to hang out. There were a couple of
redbirds that made a run at the bushes, Tesla shot off the deck like a
rocket and got both of them.