Old 05-04-2006, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Hedges

kt wrote:
I think that the previous owners did not keep the hedges etc (like the
15 ft privet which blocked his kitchen window) under control and he is
worried that he'll end up with huge hedges surrounding his property
again that he has no means of cutting, legally or physically. I think
the last owners ignored his requests for a reasonable height for things
to be. Watching the sun very carefully around our properties our hedge
would not lose him light to the garden but I think he'll worry if
things get too big and he can't do anything about it - he is
housebound. Will new neighbours expect the same treatment as we would
give to him?

I think this explains everything and puts you in a much better position
to cope with the problem. I suggest that you goo and see him and tell
him that you have absolutely no intention of letting the hedge get over
- say - 5 or 6 feet. Tell him that, with his permission, you will
clip his side of the hedge, too so he won't have to hire someone to do
that. If you haven't already chopped down the privet blocking his
kitchen window, I suggest you do so now to show good will and that if
you have chopped it down, you gently remind him of that as evidence of
your bona fides! I think that if he can be made to see that you are
entirely reasonable and that you understand his fears and concerns but
have no intention of adding to them, he will be a lot happier and much
more relaxed about the situation. You could even put in some canes to
the height you intend the hedge to be, so that he can see the reality
of the proposed situation.
It is really very much better for you to do a little bending over
backwards at this stage, rather than follow the barrack-room lawyer
approach of "I know my rights" etc. which some might adopt. In that
way, you will have no trouble with your neighbour, your own conscience
will be clear and should you ever come to sell the property while the
old man is there, you won't have to 'declare' him as an obstructive or
nuisance neighbour.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk