Old 05-04-2006, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default need help for a sloping garden

K wrote:
pleb writes
Hey greenfingers

I have quite a large garden ... which sounds nice ... but it is all
on a slope. The slop varies between 30 - 45 degrees in places :-(

I am trying to sell my house .. but all of the viewers are saying
"The garden is an off put". I have put some photos of the garden
he

http://www.certifiedgeek.co.uk/wp-co...garden1024.jpg 1024
x 720

or

http://www.certifiedgeek.co.uk/wp-co.../garden800.jpg 800 x
600

The photo doesnt show how steep and slopey the garden is, but it is.

I know most people say Terrace - but this would still be a big job.
Planners have declined permission to build on it aswell.

Any further idea?? No matter how extreme?

I suspect they are using this as an excuse for some other reason that
they are not tempted. Talk to the valuer from the estate agent and see
if there is anything else that might be putting them off.

From the photograph, it looks uninteresting, just a difficult-to-mow
piece of grass - buy in some bedding plants, keep changing them so
you always have a good display. Draw people's attention away from the
slope by giveing them something else to look at.

That's right. But I personally love sloping gardens: maybe you just have
to wait for Mr or Mrs Right. If there's a lot of equity, it might be
worth spending some money on breaking the line up a bit to make it more
saleable, but you won't get that money back in cold cash, and during any
work it may look pretty horrible. The problem does indeed seem to be
that it's the front garden, not the back: people are probably thinking
that however beautiful they make it, it still won't feel private. Right
now, I'd lose the clothes drier -- not to mention the bucket! Then get
some colour and some height in along the wall and the path, to make it
interesting, and to hint at what could be done.

If any terracing's to be done, of course the main place to consider is
the top, not the bottom. Up there by the house you can have a nice
little level area, maybe with a table and chairs, or a good-looking
children's play house or something, screened from the road by a few
trees in tubs. The screen doesn't need to be actual: a psychological
barrier is all you want, especially if there's a pleasant view.

--
Mike.