Old 05-04-2006, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

Default Horse Manure Questions

I have heard of a method of using fresh horse manure that will solve a lot
of the problems mentioned above. It has been made into manure tea. They
shoveled it into a bag that will let water in and out, then filled a 5
gallon container. The bag was put into the container and allowed to soak
for a while. Then they drain the water out into the bucket. Then they
dilute it between 5 and 10 to 1 with water and pour it onto the items to be
fertilized.

You can do this every two or three weeks if you want, to keep your garden
well nourished. I have never done it, but I went out this morning and
picked up 3 buckets full and will start using it next week.

Dwayne (from Kansas)
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All

I've had a good look through the archives and founds some very useful
info on horse manure, but a couple of questions remain unanswered.

I have a source of well-rotted (I'm told) horse manure from a local
farmer.

1) Is it too late in the season to be putting it on my veg beds now?
i.e. does it need a few weeks/months to integrate with the soil, or is
there benefit with spreading it over newly-planted or
soon-to-be-planted beds?

2) Apart from "as much as possible", what sort of quantity would I
need? I have 4 raised beds, each about 15' x 4', so a total of 240 sq
ft. The farmer has asked me how many bags I want. Presuming that "a
bag" is about the size of a potato sack, could anyone hazard a guess
for how many bags I'd need? Too much isn't a problem because I have
space for storage for later use, but I don't want to under-order.

Grateful for any advice,

Regards

Will