Old 06-04-2006, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

Default What to do with un-planted bulbs?

I bought a heap of spring-flowering bulbs, tulips mainly, last year and
never got around to planting them. They are all still in the bags they
came in and some have started to shoot. Is it too late to plant these
now? Is there a way I can store them (without planting) until next
season? We're talking about 200+ bulbs here, so something that's not
going to take a lot of time would be best. TIA...

Go ahead and plant them now... if you need to do it in a hurry, scoop
out decent depression and put 'em all in, and cover with soil... you can
dig them up next fall and replant "properly". Right now, even the ones
that look dormant are metabolizing, using their stored reserves. Might as
well give them a chance to replenish what they can with photosynthesis.
There's a fair chance with storage at about 65o, they're already pretty
well through most of their reserves. Getting them in the ground now
will give them the best chance.

Oh, and if you want easy digging next fall, you can cover them with, say,
50-50 sand and compost. They'd probably appreciate a little fertilizer, too,
especially when you replant next fall.

Kay