Old 06-04-2006, 02:13 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Default Protein Skimmer

~ janj wrote:

Since foam is the most annoying thing regarding proteins in a pond, if one
has just a regular skimmer, doesn't that take care of the visual part of
the problem?

I don't think so - or rather, of course it takes care of the visual part,
but that's not the worst part. Foam is annoying, but the DOCs aren't good
for the fish.

Personally, the only time I have foam is after spawning, and the majority
of the foam drifts off to the skimmer where it breaks down in a day or
two.

Perhaps that is all the OP needs? ~ jan

If you get foam _without_ a protein skimmer, then your DOCs are unhealthily
high. Yes, if it just comes from spawning activity, it'll break down and
the pond will return to its normal balance soon, but I'd still recommend
taking a net and scooping out foam _any_ time you see it. That stuff just
doesn't need to be in the pond.

Using a foam fractionator should enable you to remove the DOCs before they
get to the point of being unhealthy.
--
derek