Old 06-04-2006, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Green beans: newbie questions

wrote in message
ups.com...
Climbing.
The advice I have had seems to be not to pinch 'em, but to try to
support them.
I won't be planting out until after Easter, but I should be able to
prop them up somehow.

Bruce

If you pinch them out, all you'll do is get two new leaders
growing from the first leaf node back. Where the leaf stalk
joins the stem. Just twice as much trouble, in a few weeks
time.

You shouldn't plant them out until all possibility of frost
has passed in your area, wherever and whenever that is.
Usually around late April in the South East and around
the coasts, not forgetting any Scottish islands warmed by
the Gulf Stream, Mid May in the Midlands and inland generally,
and earliest of all late March in Cornwall and other areas
benefiting fully from the Gulf Stream. This is the sort
of information you need to research for yourself.

This year has shown how fast they can grow and so might suggest
planting a bit later next year.

Or sow some more later this year.

Growing them up strings inside, does give them a bit of a
head-start for when they can be safely planted out, nevertheless.

michael adams