Old 06-04-2006, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default composter + garden wall + trellis

Derek Turner writes
K wrote:
Derek Turner writes

Or, don't worry about all of this, run a 'cold heap', add to it as
and when, and you'll get to the same result, but maybe slower. Tip it
out when you want to use it, use the well rotted stuff from the
bottom, and use the unrotted stuff at the top to start a new heap.

Not quite the same result: a hot heap will sterilise the compost and
kill pathogens and weed seeds.

I know that's the theory, but I'm not sure that in practice most
gardeners can achieve the heat levels required, and also get all of the
material to that temperature (not just the bit in the centre). It's
easier to do in a big heap.

Weed seeds are ubiquitous in soil, so it's not a major benefit to remove
them from the compost.

A cool heap works more slowly and you need to be a little more
selective what you put in it (IMO, YMMV).

I'd say a cold heap made in the summer will be ready for use next spring
- the poster advising the hot heap was giving much the same timescale -
it surprised me, as I though hot heaps were faster than that.

The only things I wouldn't put i a cold heap are perennial weed roots
(dandelion, bindweed) and diseased material - but I'm not sure that most
people would put those in a hot heap.
--
Kay