Old 06-04-2006, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

Default Spuds in Compost

"michael adams" wrote in message
:
: "Mel" wrote in message
: ...
: Can whole potatoes be added to a compost heap or do they have to be
: chopped
: up? Can they be added at all?
:
: Thanks.
:
: They'll sprout, and then die, and break down that way.
:
: No matter how small you chop them if there's a dormant
: sprout attached to any bit of tuber it'll sprout.
: All spuds are around 80% water in any case and so
: are a good way of adding moisture to the compost
: heap. More slow-release if not chopped up.
:
We get a lot of blight down here and I wouldn't add potatoes to a compost
heap. Whether there is any scientific back up for me doing this I wouldn't
know but it makes me feel like I'm not giving the blight an easy time